Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 5 ... Tips and Tricks

Happy Friday! We made it through another week! I know many of my friends started back to school this last week. We all know that the beginning of the year is usually overwhelming with a never ending "To-Do List." Hopefully, we can learn from each other and make things easier for ourselves. Now, I'm no pro at this, but here are some tips and tricks for going back to school:

1. Set clear expectations from DAY 1! I learned that my life is much easier from day to day if I set very high and clear expectations for my students starting the first day of school. They need to know that they are in school to learn and expectations must be followed. Create a learning environment that promotes this, but also invites engaging activities and risks to be taken. As most of us know, we need to model, practice, and apply these expectations for a good 6 weeks or so. I think this is a great way to start the year and be successful.

2. Manage your time! It's so easy to stay at school till after 5pm, but it's so important you take time for yourself. I have found that managing my time is key to keeping sane. Create some sort of schedule for yourself of how you want to plan, when to make copies, etc. I know when I do this, it helps me stay on track so I'm not staying at school late. Create a to do list for each day and keep it consistent! One of the 7 Habits of Happy Kids talks about maintaing a balanced lifestyle. This is so important for us too! Make time to go to the gym, go for a walk, yoga, family time, etc. It will pay off while you are a school too! Ryan and I are taking the day together tomorrow to go kayaking down the Chicago River. This will be a great way to be outside and do something other than think about school. What do you like to do?




3. Enjoy what you do and don't sweat the small stuff! I know it's super easy to get tied up in other things going on around you or upset if something didn't go the way you wanted it to. However, remember when you are teaching, it's ok to have those teachable moments that veer off the "plan." Sometimes those are the best and better than the original thing planned! If something doesn't get done, OH WELL! Don't sweat the small stuff. Just relax... :)

As I mentioned, this is all stuff that we all know, but I will say, it helped me even writing about it! The beginning of the year is always so stressful and so many things to do. Just remember, it always gets done! I hope you all have enjoyed these 5 days of blog hoppin'! Some days were better than others, but I'm looking forward to the next link up that we take part it! Marie has some really great things to share and I hope you all enjoy hearing our two perspectives!

Have a blessed day!

-Crystal





No comments:

Post a Comment