Sunday, September 1, 2013

First Week of School

Hello, Blog Friends! Wow, what a week! I don't know about the rest of you, but I went back to school this week and it was exhausting! 30 little first graders sure does make one sleepy! Needless to say, this long weekend couldn't have fallen at a better time. How are you spending your holiday weekend?

This week in school, we worked on a variety of things:

Responsive Classroom: A part of the Responsive Classroom involves morning meetings. I have to say, this is one of my favorite parts of our day! The students participate in a greeting, sharing time, an activity, and a morning message. It is an outstanding way to start our day! If you are interested in the morning meeting plans, click HERE!


Secondly, we are implementing the Daily 5. Are you? So far, we have learned how to find a "Good Fit" book and the 3 ways to read a book: Read the pictures, Read the words, and Retell the story. It's been a long time since I used Daily 5, but love it! My students decorated their book boxes and have been so engaged.



We created these ADORABLE cameras to learn about one another! Didn't they turn out great?



Next, week we will begin writing sentences and exploring capitalization and end punctuation. Since I needed some new materials to implement this, I put together a new writing packet. My favorite part is using pictures to develop sentences to stretch. Also, Ollie the Octopus is an excellent way to teach sentence fluency. Check it out HERE!



Finally, we have a big announcement! Save the date: We are participating in the Fall Facebook Frenzy! There will be tons of great freebies! :)



I hope you all have an excellent holiday weekend! Remember: relax and take time for YOU! :)
-Crystal

No comments:

Post a Comment